AVID kicks off year of activities with new officers

AVID is focused on helping high school students cross all the hurdles to being accepted at the college of their choice

Kenia Salgado, Staff Writer
October 21, 2012
Filed under Student Life

Senior year is always the busiest. Knowing that, all 12th graders are going to have to put up with not only tough classes but also their own senior to-do list. College applications, researching colleges and getting your own personal opinion on a college, even going to see the campus are all apart of this to-do list. Another important thing is applying for scholarships.

Some may feel lost and not know where to get started. Luckily, Mission Bay High School has an AVID club where all of that and any more questions you may have can be answered.

On the week of 9/17-9/22 AVID held a meeting where an election was performed to determine the president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. The votes came in, and the new AVID council was elected. New treasurer Karla Reynosa, had this to say about AVID’s budget:  “We wish to raise enough money to go on college trips as a class”.

Secretary Danny Nguyen expressed his thoughts about future AVID club events and said, “I’m looking forward to visiting college campus and seeing the college life”.

And vice-president Varavit Chinnapong will contribute his support saying, “I will make sure everyone is updated with college applications and essays, also I will be here for people who need help.” Mr. Ebba as AVID’s advisor stated what AVID’s future activities were, “Right now we are planning on our participation in homecoming, ideas for fundraisers, college trips, and scholarship information.”

It’s never too late to come and be a part of AVID, anyone is welcome, Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors, don’t be afraid to bring a friend.

In the future AVID will hold fundraisers to get money to afford college tours and have special guests come in from different colleges to talk about the campus and the classes. Help AVID help you, let AVID club know about your future plans and how you are planning to achieve them. AVID’s job is to get you aware and prepared for what’s coming.

Comments

Comments need to be made with respect for human dignity, good grammar, and good taste. If you can't do all three, then don't expect your comment to be published.

*